FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
MONTREAL, October 10, 2015 – Thirty eight of Canada’s drag racing legends were inducted into the newly formed Canadian Drag Racing Hall of Fame at the inaugural Gala held at the Hotel Universel in Montreal.
During the course of the evening inductees thanked John Scotti and Bob Aubertin for their vision, initiative and commitment to bringing to life the first Canadian Drag Racing Hall of Fame.
“The recognition of world-class Canadian drag racing legends, all under one roof, is long overdue,” says John Scotti, Founder of the Canadian Drag Racing Hall of Fame. “I am very excited about this achievement that has been a long-time incoming for the sport.
The 28 living and 10 posthumous legends who are being inducted include, racers, crew chiefs, mechanics track officials, promoters, and sponsors from Victoria, B.C. to Poole’s Corners, P.E.I who have made a lasting impact and significant difference in the development of the sport of Drag Racing in Canada and elsewhere.
The complete list of inductees can be found below.
During the inaugural Gala, most of the 28 drag racing legends being inducted attended the Gala accompanied by spouses and family. Each inductee was honoured with a custom tailored ‘Blue Blazer’ bearing the Canadian Drag Racing Hall of Fame logo and a personalized Hall of Fame ring.
“It is a dream come true to see the great ones of our sport getting the recognition they deserve for their extraordinary achievements, contributions and efforts for the sport of drag racing,” says Bob Aubertin, Director of the Canadian Drag Racing Hall of Fame.
To be nominated into the Canadian Drag Racing Hall of Fame, candidates must have actively been engaged at the top level of their categories for more than 25 years and have made a tremendous contribution to the sport. They must also reside in or be an expatriate of Canada.
About the Canadian Drag Racing Hall of Fame
The Canadian Drag Racing Hall of Fame is a non-profit organization that will be based in Montreal, Quebec at 7905 Boulevard Provencher, Saint-Leonard (Quebec) Founded in 2014, by John Scotti, President of John Scotti Automotive Group, its mission is to recognize the professionals in Top Fuel, Funny Car, Pro-Stock and Sportsman categories.
About Drag Racing
Drag racing is the Fastest and Quickest form of Professional motorsport racing in the world today. Professionally built and driven race cars that compete, side by side, at speeds of over 332 mph (534.30 Km/h) in a Top Fuel.10, 000 H.P.dragster in less than 3.680 seconds across the finish line. The race follows a short, straight course from a standing start-over a measured distance, most commonly ¼ mile (1,320 ft (402 m), with a shorter 3/16 mile (1,000 ft (305 m)) for Nitro methane powered Top Fuel dragsters and funny cars.
List of Inductees:
1. Dale Armstrong, AB (Posthumous)
2. Gordy Bonin, AB (Posthumous)
3. Ron Bracken, Pierrefonds, QC (Posthumous)
4. Ronald Brunet, Napierville, QC
5. Frank Cantusci,Ottawa, ON
6. Terry Capp, Sturgeon County, AB
7. Wally Clark, Niagara, ON
8. Aurèle Collette, Bouctouche, NB
9. George Constantine, Montreal, QC (Posthumous)
10. Marcel Couture, St. Henri, QC (Posthumous)
11. Garry Dearn, Lasalle, QC
12. Louis Desjardins, Montreal, QC
13. John Dingman, Montreal, QC (Posthumous)
14. Sandy Elliot, Chatham, ON (Posthumous)
15. John Elliot, Chatham, ON
16. Bernie Fedderly, Edmonton, AB
17. Alban Gauthier, Montreal, QC
18. Ralph Hope, London, ON
19. Don Lavoie, Dieppe, NB
20. Graham Light, Edmonton, AB
21. André Massé, St.-Jean d’Iberville, QC (Posthumous)
22. Jacques Marier, Repentigny, QC
23. Terry ‘Zeke’ Maxwell, St. Constant, QC
24. Ken McDonald, Montreal, QC (Posthumous)
25. Doug Miller, Williamsburg, ON
26. Jim Morrison, Elmsdale, NS
27. John Petrie, Victoria, B.C.
28. Barrie Poole, Montague, PEI / Chatham, ON
29. Jim Rini, Kingston, ON
30. Dan Rini, Kingston, ON
31. Joe Roy, Montreal/Toronto, QC/ON
32. Stan Sipos, Victoria, BC
33. FJ Smith, Cayuga, ON
34. Ollie Stephan, Scarborough, ON
35. Alain Tanguay, Charlesbourg, QC
36. Claude Tetreault, Napierville, QC
37. Denis Warner, Toronto, ON (Posthumous)
38. Scott Wilson, London, ON
For more information, a photograph or to schedule an interview:
Victoria Pickering (514) 771-2837 / Virginie Karagirwa (514) 935-5069